Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Something sad in my book...

You know, I'm the last person who should be judging anyone, but this evening I seen something sad, in my book at least.

I was surfing through the net and came onto some sites I have seen in the past, but I don't hang out at. One was for one of my favorite sci-fi show (I'll leave nameless to avoid finger pointing) I use to watch when I was in school and a whole lot younger.

This site was set up by a true fan (I'm not denying that), but what I seen kind of made me...sad, I think is the word. This fan has over 20 short stories (of which they wrote) about this series. Ok now...I'm a fan and I have done fanfic, but I think it made me sad because...well it's kind of a waste. 20 short stories??? Not to mention, this series is STILL under copyright.

An editor told me once..."You can teach the technique, but not the idea." So I ask...where does it leave this writer?

Just my thought for now..................

1 comment:

Smallvillewriter said...

You may not realize that fan fiction is big business, both legally and illegally. For those shows who get bookshelf space at Barnes & Noble (Star Trek, Star Wars, Buffy), that's great. For those of us who love a show and write because a story wasn't written, that's also great. If this writer was posting online, for instance (and if you check around, such on the kryptonsite.com or agentwithstyle.com), there are THOUSANDS of stories using copyrighted characters/shows. Don't believe me? Check it out. If a production company isn't going to issue OFFICIAL books for fans to read, and if the writer is posting online (translation - ZERO profit), what's the harm? Are we going to get sued for every penny we MADE? Besides, writers know why writers write. We HAVE to. It's in our blood. Even if the stories are "a waste." I feel that if a zero-profit fan fiction story is written about a show, the good (1. bringing attention to a canceled show; 2. providing reading material for desparate fans) outweighs the bad. Period.