Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Local Newspaper??


I really do know else to say this without it coming out bad and this is an obervation nothing more.

Living in a small town in Montana has its upside and its downside. The upside is a tight community. Everyone knows everyone else and some will even watch your back for you. Crime is low as far as I know we don't have any serieal killer here. But...

The downside is this...don't color outside of the lines. Being that this is MONTANA, an artist is to draw wildlife, cowboys and scenery. A writer is to write about Montana fiction, cowboys or anything else that is 'so-called' about real Montana.

Here is the problem...I don't.

I was raised here and this is all that I know. I have not even seen the ocean. I have never been to Europe or abroad. I have made it up to Canada because we are only about 200 miles from the border. I was not raised on a farm but I have done farm work (my sister was married to a farmer). I'm not a fan of the 'big' city, it is just to crowded for me. So here is the problem...I write and draw sci-fi/fantasy/romance.

Everytime I pick up the local paper I see something about a booksigning or a bookreading, but they are for an author who wrote about pioneers or their live story in Montana. I was interviewed by this same paper back in the first part of May of this year but I have not seen the artical in the Ranger. In fact, I have spent a guess of over $300 in mail outs to promote my writing. Now I have 'Star'Leen' coming out and I'm not sure if it is worth the effort to contact the local paper. This is a weird position to be in. So your guess as good as mine in what I am to do next.

I have a couple locally owned stores that said they would be interested in handling the book. So I'll order a few from Lulu.com to place in those stores. I will offer some freebies to go with each book to advertise for Forbidden Publications (my publisher of the e-book version). It is the least I can do for them because they have been good to me. That was also the reason of the redesigning of the cover. I wanted a professional look to attract attention.

And in the mean time...I'll just keep writing and take the situations as they come.

No comments: